Our latest LFX Insights release expands the list of supported data sources and metrics to include GitHub Reviews metrics, Google Groups, and CircleCI. Read on to learn how you can take advantage of these new insights for your project.
- GitHub – Reviews Dashboard & Efficiency Metrics
New GitHub Reviews Dashboard and an improved GitHub Efficiency Dashboard provide more clarity around pull request merge times.
- Google Groups & CircleCI Support
We’re adding two new data sources to LFX Insights in this release: Google Groups and CircleCI Support.
Track project efficiency with GitHub Reviews and Efficiency Dashboards
With this data, you’ll be able to address critical questions such as “who are the reviewers helping to close our open pull requests?” and “how efficient is the review activity across each monitored repository?” The improved GitHub Efficiency Dashboard provides better visualizations and more details, to help project maintainers set goals around the PR merge time.
GitHub Reviews Dashboard
We added key metrics including:
- Average Time to First Review: The average time it takes for the first review to be completed on a pull request. Community maintainers can use this metric to track reviewer activity and help avoid burnout.
- Time to First Approve: The time it takes to get the first approval on a pull request. Spikes in this metric could indicate that submitted PRs aren’t adhering to the contributor guidelines established by the project.
- Pull Requests Merged Without Approvals: The number of pull requests merged without passing through a review and approval process. While it’s common practice to only merge code that’s passed through the PR review process, there can be exceptions. This metric gives maintainers visibility into these instances so you can avoid surprises.
Improved GitHub Efficiency Dashboard
We’ve completely redesigned the GitHub Efficiency Dashboard to help project maintainers set goals around PR merge times, a helpful metric in understanding and optimizing project efficiency. The dashboard now includes new metrics like Median Time to Merge, 95th Percentile of Time to Merge, Submitters, Organizations, Total PRs Merged, and more. The new Time to Merge trends-over-time table will be especially useful in tracking healthy merge times.
Expand What You Can Monitor with New Data Sources
We’re adding two new data sources to LFX Insights in this release: Google Groups and CircleCI Support. You’ll need to add your data sources to take full advantage of these new metrics and dashboards, so be sure to submit a request if your project uses either of these platforms.
Google Groups Support
This data source addition expands Insights email coverage to include Google Groups mailing lists, which already supports Groups.io and Pipermail. In addition to the dedicated Overview Dashboard, Google Groups is also integrated with the Trends Dashboard. This provides richer context around what the community is talking about. Project community managers can use metrics like “Daily Active Users”, “Emails by Organization”, and even “Top Trending Topics” to better engage and acknowledge their community members.
LFX Insights will now support CircleCI, providing various builds related-metrics right on the Insights dashboard for your project, helping you monitor your project’s build pipeline and improve workflow efficiency.
We added key metrics including:
- Jobs By Status: Detailed analysis on jobs by their status, paired against the repositories that triggered them.
- Workflow Duration Trend: Workflow completion time trend analysis. Project maintainers can use this metric to help identify the effects of major code updates on the build pipeline, or to track against a goal of reducing build duration time.